Sunday, January 28, 2007

Like the Socratic method

Through my carrier as a Creative I was interested in creating design that acts as a question, rather than a statement or explanation. Like the Socratic method, my intention was to ignite the imagination of the viewer, instill in them the realization that they may not know something, to question their understanding of a subject. Because I believe understanding is something entirely personal and individual, and thus it can never be taught, it can only be discovered or suggested. However, nowadays visual and aural language saturates our public and private spaces: Billboards on the road, newspaper headlines in the subway, on the bus, television commercials, brand names in conversations, sound bytes in news, etc. are making a predigested language, and also are making IMMUNE the viewers and general public. This pollution injected and infected the communication process and has become surface and superficial making more difficult to get and approach the public. My ideas exist and are changing as crazy realizable physical moments rather than lineal communication that seems to have little significance. I still believe that the power of the question is more potent than the answer. I am still happy with my creative process because sometimes is better a whisper that a loud shout.

by the way I’ve cut my hair pretty short.


10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You look old.

9:04 PM  
Blogger Natalia Velis Meardi said...

Papi: Estas guapisiiimooo...

Cositas?

Mjmjmjmjmjmjmjm...

10:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, don't you need a "job" to consider yourself in a "career"?
You see, unlike you I have a job at Starbucks. And with this job I can have a long adventurous career there making coffee and super fatty drinks. I help a person enjoy their drink and gain five pounds.

10:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Joanie! I'm working at Starbucks, too. It's so funny when the people become crazy with the frapuccinos and all of those f@@@@@@ beverages!... They can't imagine the amount of calories, but they look very happy drinking a mocca frapuccino or a caramel macchiato and paying too much money for that!!

Anyways, I really like the coffee frapuccino with whipping cream on the top (for summer), in winter, the best one is vanilla latte with double shot of espresso ... I recommend you.

Well, I'm sorry for my bad english, hope that your work in Starbuks be nice!! Mine is sooo hard, every day there are too many tourists, but I like it.

When you come to Barcelona to visit us?

Ciao!!

1:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Possibly in the summer I might come and visit. I have a lot of friends in Europe right now so I thought it might be a good time to come. I have to work and go to school right now though. I actually like the strawberries and cream frap but it has sssssssooooooo many calories. The smallest one has 400 and the largest one has 800. I have noticed a lot of people who get those drinks regularly are really fat.
I call work the "fat factory".

11:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool! I hope to meet u next summer...

1:57 PM  
Blogger Mr Penapoca said...

WTF

4:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where have you been?

5:55 PM  
Blogger Ernesto said...

Penapoca, I echo your words: WTF!

haha
ok mr socratic, here it is a good example of you words, in this conversation was mentioned Starbucks... :)
I had a haircut as well, this time instead of going to the barbershop and spending the usual £6 (about $10), I bought a machine for £15 so my girlfriend cut it for me :)

we miss you guys! hope to see you soon, I need to talk to a brilliant person full of creative ideas ;)
hopefuly they didn't go with your hair (like Samson's strenght)

salut!

1:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You were a graphic design major and yet you still can't put a picture the right way on a blog. Biology majors know how to do that.

2:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home